Embassy of India
Official Visit of Hon’ble External Affairs Minister of India to Indonesia
(5 September 2019)
Dr. S. Jaishankar, Hon’ble External Affairs Minister (EAM) paid an official visit to Indonesia on 5th September 2019. This was EAM’s first bilateral visit in the ASEAN region and maiden visit to Indonesia, after assuming charge as External Affairs Minister.
2. During the visit, EAM had a detailed discussions with Foreign Minister of Indonesia H.E. Mrs. Retno Marsudi, across a broad spectrum of bilateral relations pursuant to the establishment of Comprehensive Strategic Partnership during the visit of Prime Minister of India in May 2018. Both leaders discussed steps to deepen bilateral cooperation in the Maritime Domain, including tangible steps to deepen connectivity between Andaman and Nicobar islands of India and Aceh Province of Indonesia. In this regard, both Leaders welcomed the adoption of the Terms of Reference of the Joint Task Force meeting on Andaman Aceh connectivity and looked forward to the holding of the First meeting of the JTF in Indonesia at an early date within this year.
3. EAM congratulated Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi on leading the discussions on “ASEAN’s Collective Outlook on the Indo-Pacific” bringing then to a successful conclusion. He reiterated the convergence between India and Indonesia on the Indo-Pacific, as agreed in the Shared Vision of Maritime Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific between the two maritime neighbors. EAM also thanked Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi for hosting the inaugural function at Indonesian Foreign Office premises to mark the commemorative event on establishment of 70th Anniversary of Diplomatic Ties. EAM extended an invitation to Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi to visit India for the Joint Commission Meeting later this year. FM Retno thanked EAM for the invitation.
4. During the visit, EAM also held meetings with senior leadership of the Indonesian Government, including with H.E. General (Retd.) Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs, and H.E. General (Retd) Wiranto, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs.
5. EAM also called on H.E. Jusuf Kalla, Hon’ble Vice President of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and discussed steps to further scale up the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between India and Indonesia. He extended an invitation to Vice President for joining the launch of the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) initiative at UNGA.
6. EAM also called on the former President and Chairwoman of Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDIP) H.E. Megawati Sukarnoputri and recalling her strong association with India, extended an invitation to visit India at the earliest.
7. At a function held later in the evening of 5th September, EAM presided over the web launch of the Representative office of CII in Jakarta. It may be noted that the announcement to open the CII Representative Office in Jakarta was made during the visit of Prime Minister of India in May 2018. H.E. Mr. Thomas Trikasih Lembong, Chairman of Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board was also present at the inaugural function.
8. At the same function, EAM along with Indonesian leadership jointly released a commemorative stamp on Mahatma Gandhi, as part of the ongoing celebrations to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma.
5th September 2019