Embassy of India
Celebration of International Day of Yoga at Prambanan Temple, Yogyakarta
June 21 was adopted as the International Day of Yoga (IDY) by United Nations on December 10, 2014. Since the celebration of the first International Day of Yoga in 2015, millions of people from all walks of life enthusiastically wait for this day.
2. Today, the celebration of 8thInternational Day of Yoga in the sprawling lawns of Prambanan Temple was led by the Embassy of India and PPYNI (Indonesian National Association of Yoga Practitioners). The event saw enthusiastic participation of more than 1000 Yoga lovers from in and around the city. Today’s event is being live telecasted by Indian national channel- DD News where millions of Indians saw the gathering of Indonesian yoga lovers against the backdrop of 9thcentury temple.
3. Talking about the significance of Yoga in daily life, Ambassador of India to Indonesia and Timor Leste H.E. Mr. Manoj Kumar Bharti explained about the inception of Yoga and emphasized on how Yoga is the key to prepare the human mind and body for meditation which is the basis of human awareness of the environment.
4. The yoga lovers across the world gather together and celebrate the annual event to spread the message of health and happiness. Apart from health, this event also promotes peace and international cooperation. This event will make Indians aware about the cultural heritage of Yogyakarta, and will enhance the tourism potential from India.
5. Last month, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi announced that the 8thIDY will be celebrated around the theme- “Yoga for Humanity”. This event is being celebrated as a part of India@75 events (Azaadi ka Amrit Mahotsav), as this year, India will mark 75 years of its independence on 15thAugust. The massive gathering performed the Common Yoga Protocol together under the guidance of renowed yoga guru Mr. Naresh Kumar Nadda.
6. Similar International Day of Yoga celebrations were held across Indonesia on 21stJune, 2022 where yoga enthusiasts in Bali, Medan, and Surabaya came together and marked the first big yoga event in last 3 years.